Domain Name Services
YOURasp Pty Ltd offers two types of Domain Name Services:
- Domain Name Registration for customers who require a new domain name.
- Domain Name Hosting for customers who want to host their domain name on the YOURasp Pty Ltd DNS servers.
What is a Domain Name?
A Domain Name on the Internet is the equivalent of the street address of your business and can be personalised to include your company name. The Domain Name System (DNS) helps users to find their way around the Internet. Every computer on the Internet has a unique address – just like a telephone number – which is a rather complicated string of numbers. It is called its "IP address" (IP stands for "Internet Protocol"). Your Domain Name is exclusively yours and is used by others to locate you on the Internet. It consists of your company's name followed by a suffix that shows where the company is based and what type of organisation it is, for example: yourasp.com.au and can contain letters, numbers, hyphens and must be in lowercase
Benefits of a Domain Name
Give your business a global identity
Increase your credibility with your own address firstname.lastname@example.org instead of using a free email address such as email@example.com.
Protect your Good business Name
Distinguish yourself from competitors with a unique identity. Project a professional image and level the playing field with large organisations
An asset to your business
Just as your stock, contents, property and goodwill are valuable to your business, so to, a quality domain name can be an asset to you. Over time your web reputation will be established using a particular domain name, and if you decide to sell your business, this online component will add to the equity of your business.
Attract traffic to your site.
By using keywords in your domain name, search engines are more likely to retrieve your website in their search results
Help existing clients find you easily
Because your Domain Name gives you a unique presents on the internet existing clients and potential clients can locate you easily on the internet
Help your ranking on global search engines
Build branding (recognition).
Domain Name Registration and Transfer
1. To register a domain name that you want, go to https://www.melbourneit.com.au/cc/whois/index ,check if the domain is available.
2. If the domain name is available complete the domain application forms (domain application forms ) and fax or email the forms to firstname.lastname@example.org
3. To transfer a domain name to YOURasp, you need to have your domain password and registry key from your current service provider. Complete domain Transfer forms(domain transfer forms) and fax or email them to email@example.com Also, for your application to be accepted or finalized, YOURasp will require payment to be made. For existing YOURasp clients, you may supply your existing account number if you wish the domain to be billed according to your current billing arrangement.
If you do not currently have a YOURasp account, credit card or direct debit payment options are made available during the signup process.
If your domain name is within 90 days of expiry, it will be renewed on transfer. Renewal fees will apply.
General Rules for Domain Registration
The AuDA governs all registration of Domain names within Australia, to ensure no misuse or abuse of the domain names occurs. Domain Name allocation in the .au domain space is governed by a set of rules enforced by AuDA. The regulations apply to all domains registered in the Australia .au domain name space (.com.au, .net.au and org.au ) .
- Before registering a domain name please be aware of the rules and regulations that apply to .au domains.
- All Australian .au domain names are valid for two years from the date of registration.
- You are allowed multiple domain name registrations per business entity.
- The domain must be at least two characters in length.
- Domain names must be composed entirely of letters, digits and hyphens.
- The first and last characters of the domain name must not be hyphens.
Rules for .com.au and .net.au, .org.au
- The domain name must be:
- an exact match, acronym or abbreviation of your company, business, trading, association or statutory body name or words in your registered trade mark; or
- be closely and substantially connected to you because the domain refers to a product you manufacture or sell or a service you provide.
- To register a .com.au or .net.au Australian domain name you should supply proof of registration of a company, business name, association or statutory body or of your trade mark.
Rules for .biz and .info
- .biz and .info domains may require proof of trademark or proof of trading as the business entity name you are registering.
Rules for .nz ( .co.nz, .net.nz, and .org.nz)
- .nz domains are valid for one year from the date of registration.
- A seven to ten day turnaround time applies to .nz domains
Rules for .com, .net
- The .com and .net domains can be used by anyone, anywhere in the world. These types of domain names are typically used by individuals and businesses that wish to communicate to a global community
Please refer to the MelbourneIT allocations policy which is located at http://www.melbourneit.com.au/policies/aupolicy.php for more details on restrictions that apply to the .au domain space
Asian domains (i.e. com.cn, com.hk ) are available for individuals and organizations in the Asian region.
This region is home to some of the world's fastest growing economies and 40% of the world's Internet users. If you do business in Asia and you want to market and protect your brand, contact our sales team for pricing and for information relating to the different rules that apply to these countries